History is one of the primary subjects, and a level history essay is a standard assignment. A good piece of writing on history is one of the most demanding jobs. You have to demonstrate in-depth knowledge and exceptional analytic skills. The reason is the nature of the subject itself: massive information several thousands of years long.
You have to learn about many hundreds of outstanding people and countless significant events. When we compare historical data with our today, we can even foretell the future. That’s why learning history is vital.
Unfortunately, it does not make it easier for many students. History extended essay done on a high level earns you an excellent reputation, but it demands much. On the other hand, knowing how to do this task in the right way is the best support.
Here, we won’t highlight the stage of research. You know that you need to explore any topic thoroughly. This way, you obtain the most profound knowledge. Of course, you need the most reputable sources, both primary documents and historiographic studies of the established researchers. This approach is similar to all academic essays.
Let’s proceed to the next stage where you have read the material, sorted the information, and started to compose the entire text.
Working on the Outline of a History Essay
The truth is, many students would tend to skip this step. It demands time and focus, and facing a close deadline might tempt you to save time on some “unnecessary” tasks. But the examiner may require to present the outline. And this method actually saves time.
A clear outline lets you get an “image” of the essay in your mind before writing it. You get the correct structure, decide your statements and evidence, track the plotline, and even ensure the text fluency with the proper transitions. At the same time, outlining takes significantly less time than writing an essay.
Though this stage seems time-consuming, it is, in fact, time-saving, so evaluate it properly.
The Right Structure of a History Essay – What to Note
A proper structure is a central pillar of any essay. Or, it is what makes your piece of writing an academic paper. Sometimes, students present a retelling of some historical events or fail to provide scientific analysis with proper arguments. As a result, the essay loses its focus and plotline, and logical connections get ruined. The reader can’t get a whole impression of the ideas.
Speaking of an essay structure, we mean two things:
- The standard three-part structure of any essay text. You need an introductory part, then the main body, and the conclusion part in the end;
- The inner structure of the entire text. It relates to all elements like paragraphs, sentences, statements, arguments, references, and transitions. Each word matters in an essay, and it must serve the primary idea you introduce in a thesis statement.
That’s why it is so essential to outline the essay before writing it down. You pick up the titles, put them in order, and find the best structure where each issue fits in and serves as an integral part of the whole.
Now, let’s discuss the three-part structure.
How to Prepare a Practical History Essay Introduction
While the body paragraphs don’t cause difficulties to the students, the introductory part may be daunting. We all know about its importance. A short opening paragraph or two set the tone for the essay. It provides the necessary background information, and the most essential, it has to ensure the audience’s interest.
So, this is how to write a good history essay introduction:
- Write it when you complete the body part. When you have the entire essay, it is simpler to approach the best way to its introduction;
- Begin with a hook – the first sentences must catch your audience’s attention and set the essay’s tone. Thus, you should choose something matching your style. We’ll review the hooks further;
- Specify the background of the topic. Your goal is to explain what the essay is about and why the theme is essential. Note that you should not provide any arguments here. Their right place is in the following “body” section;
- Provide the thesis statement. You should define your essay’s main idea at the research stage, but here you need to formulate it precisely. Again, review the ready paper and relate the thesis statement to your findings. Make sure that they match.
How to Write a Hook for a History Essay – the Best-Working Types
The subject is exciting and multi-sided itself. Hence, you can choose from a wide variety of options.
- Quotes. It is always better to find something original. Still, you can use a famous quote too, and present it from a different angle;
- An interesting fact related to your topic. Most likely, you’d note it during the researches, so keep it;
- A rhetorical question. It is, perhaps, the safest option – this way, you engage the audience at once;
- Debunking of a stereotype. History is full of stereotypes, and the job of researches is to prove or disprove them.
The hook must always be relevant and correlate directly with your theme and the tone of your paper. The absence of such a connection is disappointing for your audience.
Making an Appropriate Conclusion of an Essay
The introduction and the conclusion should “frame” the essay. Thus, when you compose the final, do the following:
- Return to the beginning, and check if your thesis statement is successful;
- Stress that you were right because your findings supported your ideas;
- Identify your main ideas and compile one short section containing the essence of your work;
- Use only the information present in your essay so that your audience would see the logical connections.
Prepare to Write a Black History Essay
The USA’s latest events prove that the Black History subject is crucial, and it makes excellent topics for research. If you have an essay assignment dedicated to Black History, try to be original. There is no use in exploring well-known policy, biographies, or historical events in the same way as thousands of historians did before you.
Search for less notable aspects, or try to present a view from a different angle, and contrast the historical issues with the current state of things. Also, it is crucial to ensure relevance. Research carefully, avoid biased sources, and use the most up-to-date publications in academically established journals.
What to Consider for a US History Essay
This branch of history focuses on the most prominent figures and events in the history of the USA. It is a vast and challenging area for researches. Knowledge of critical periods and points is crucial for understanding modern-day events and successes.
When preparing an essay in US history, focus on the correlations of the current state’s historical aspects. Look for the historical parallels and cause-and-effect connections. It helps you to present an original opinion even if you have to explore some standard topics.
Suppose you want to present an excellent essay in history worth the highest mark. In that case, you can make use of professional help. Our Essay Homework Help writing agency specializes in history as well, and our experts will be glad to assist you with any task.